Saturday, September 03, 2005

Photos and Supply Update

I found some interesting satellite photos of the flooded areas on the LSU Earth Scan Laboratory site. You will want a high speed connection for this one.
www.esl.lsu.edu/quicklinks/hurricanes/2005/KATRINA/

I'm still looking for any good before/after pictures of the Gulf Coast and Mississippi River. If you find a site, please click on my profile and send it to my email address or post a comment.

A few tips if you are driving around LA. I have talked with someone driving through Louisiana. Anywhere that borders Mississippi, seems to be low on gas, groceries, etc. Natchez, MS is actually giving ice away. Natchez, MS and Vidalia, LA (across the river from each other) are short on supplies but if you go North, you will find plenty. The trend seems to be the heavily traveled highways have more issues than the lesser traveled. You can find food and gas, just make sure you plan ahead.

Walmart in Prairieville has pulled all of their ammunition from the shelves. Today is the first day of dove season and I find this absolutely ridiculous. I don't have time to check the other Walmart's in the area but I would appreciate any intelligence on this. The person behind the counter said they were asked to by the State Police. I would love to know if this was true. I'm glad Jim's Firearms and Precision didn't do anything as foolish. Make sure you let Walmart know that you do not approve of this. I can understand putting items behind the counter that have a high theft problem but pulling something you normally sell to protect the citizens is too far. I'm sure Sears will be removing steak knives from the shelves shortly.

With the LSU games cancelled, people are looking for something to do to get a break from the insane. Movie theaters are having record numbers for attendance. We were going to go dove hunting to get away but none of the husbands want to be that far away from home. No sexism here, just no female hunters in this branch of the family. We'll figure something out.

No comments: