Friday, September 02, 2005

Helicopters...

Something came to me when I was in the shower this morning and heard a helicopter. I remember after 9-11 hearing/seeing fighter jets flying over Portland. I'm sure it happened more often in other larger cities. Every time I would get this chill in my spine. I'm not sure if this comes from remembering what happened, patriotism or watching Top Gun too many times in college. I'm getting the same feeling every time I hear a helicopter.

Helicopters are everywhere in Baton Rouge. You see them surveying the highways, getting news footage and just flying around. At the Baton Rouge airport, you normally see 3 or 4 hellicopters parked. It's a big deal to actually see one flying. When I flew out of the airport the other day, there were 30 or 40. All kinds - police, Coast Guard, Military, news stations I didn't recognize, privates ones etc. I've never seen so many helicopters flying around.

Just one more thing that reminds you life is different.

On a sdie note - the neighborhood is deathly quiet. No longer the sound of generators humming away.

No comments: